South Asian Insider
Opinion and Editorial
Badaun gangrape case: 50-year-old raped by three men, cops unresponsive for 18 hours | 10 points
A 50-year-old woman was brutally gangraped and murdered in UP's Badaun district on Sunday. The victim's family has alleged police apathy, before and after her death
(News Agencies)-Just over a month after Hathras gangrape and murder shook the nation, another case of similar horrendous nature has emerged from Uttar Pradesh. A 50-year-old woman was gang-raped and brutally murdered allegedly by a priest and two others in the Badaun district in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday.
Just like in the Hathras case, the Badaun case victim also suffered police apathy in life and in death. The victim had gone missing on Sunday evening, but when the family approached the police they were ignored, then again when the accused dumped her body outside her house later that night, the police did not consider it urgent enough for immediate action. Here is what we know about Badaun gangrape and murder case in 10 points:
1) The victim, an Anganwadi worker, left for a temple in her village at around 6 pm on Sunday. When she did not return for two-three hours, her family went to the police station but were turned back. Later that night, at around 11:30 pm, three men dumped her body outside her home and fled. According to the victim's family, the three men were temple's priest Baba Satyanarayan, his disciple Vedram and driver Jaspal. Sources said that before dumping her body outside her home, the accused had also taken her to a medical centre. But when she died, they came to her home, rang the bell, threw her blood-soaked body there and fled.
2) According to the victim's family when they rushed to the Ughaiti police station to file a complaint, Station Incharge Ravendra Pratap Singh refused to listen to them and said that he will take up the matter the next day. The cops visited the victim's house on Monday morning and sent the body for postmortem.
3) In the postmortem, which was conducted some 18 hours after the body was found, the doctors have found serious injuries to the victim's private parts, evidence of substantial blood loss and fracture in a leg and ribs.
4) After the postmortem report, the police finally filed an FIR against the priest, his disciple and the driver. The driver and disciple were arrested by the police on Tuesday. The priest is still on the run. The police have formed four teams to nab him. "On Sunday, the 50-year-old woman, who had gone to a temple, was found dead under mysterious circumstances. Family members of the woman have accused the temple mahant and his aides of raping and murdering her. Based on this, a case was registered against the accused. Two of the accused persons were arrested on Tuesday night, while the mahant is still absconding," Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Sankalp Sharma informed the media on Wednesday. Four teams have been formed to nab the priest, the SSP said.
5) SSP Sankalp Sharma also said that the station house officer of Ughaiti police station has been suspended for laxity in the case.
6) Meanwhile, the National Commission for Women (NCW) has taken cognizance of the case and has sought immediate intervention of the UP police in the matter. The Commission has also said it will send its member to probe the incident. The commission, in a statement, said it is deeply perturbed by the reported incident and the alleged police apathy. NCW Chairperson Rekha Sharma has written to Director General of Police, Uttar Pradesh seeking immediate intervention in the matter. The Commission has also sought a detailed action taken report in the matter from the police.
7) The matter has also been raised by Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, who has questioned the Adityanath government's intentions on the issue of women's security. Priyanka Gandhi tweeted: "In Hathras, the government administration did not listen to the voice of those pleading. The government saved officials and suppressed the victim's voice. In Budaun, the police station officer did not listen to the one pleading and did not even examine the place of the incident. There is something wrong in the UP government's intentions on women's security," she added.
8) UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has also taken cognizance of the matter. "CM Yogi Aditynath has taken cognizance of the Badaun rape incident and has directed to take strict action against the accused in the case," Uttar Pradesh CM's office said in a statement.
9) As per CM's orders, a special task force has been formed which will investigate the matter along with the police, Prashant Kumar, ADG Law & Order told media.
10) Meanwhile, Badaun District Magistrate Prashant Kumar has said that the 'incident is fit to be presented to the NSA for a probe and we will do that'.
Biden: Infrastructure bill will ease economy woes, just wait
President Joe Biden touted his $1 trillion infrastructure plan Wednesday as an eventual fix for the nation's inflation and supply chain woes - if Ame...
Punjab: Crackdown on transport mafia continues, govt's daily revenue crosses Rs 1 crore
As the crackdown on the transport mafia in Punjab continues, the government's daily revenue has surpassed Rs 1 crore. Since the Punjab government ...
SRK's manager Pooja Dadlani skips Mumbai Police summon citing health reasons, cops to serve notice again
The Mumbai Police's special investigation team called Shah Rukh Khan's manager Pooja Dadlani thrice to ask her to record her statement in the extortio...
Crude bomb detected along Assam-Mizoram border defused safely
(News Agencies) - The crude bomb which was detected by the Cachar district police nearby an under-construction site along the Assam-Mizoram border fiv...
Canadian woman first in the world to be diagnosed as suffering from 'climate change'
(SAI Bureau)-A Canadian woman in her 70s could be the first patient to be ever diagnosed as suffering from 'climate change' as doctors blame her heal...
What the Chinese Army is Buying ?
(SAI Bureau)- Last week, the U.S. Department of Defense released its annual report on Chinese military power, mentioning "artificial intelligence" 20 ...
China's COVID coverup and its terrible costs demand accountability. US must step up
The Biden administration's mounting Afghanistan, immigration, and spending woes threaten to obscure its failure to hold Beijing accountable for the d...
Amarinder Singh destroying himself: Congress leaders on ex-CM's move to side with BJP
(News Agencies)-Punjab Deputy CM Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa and state Congress in-charge Harish Rawat have criticised veteran party leader Capt Amarin...
Angry Captain, angrier farmers may end up helping Arvind Kejriwal, here's how
With former Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh announcing the formation of a new party and the central government clashing with protesting...
Three Indian Americans Appointed In White House Fellowship Programme
(Insider Bureau)-The White House on Monday named 19 young emerging leaders as its fellows for 2021-22, three of whom are Indian Americans.The prestig...
© All rights Reserved. The south Asian, Published Weekly from New york.