View Details << Back

Car bomb kills 20 during Eid ceasefire in east Afghanistan’s Nangarhar
While no one has yet claimed responsibility, the Islamic State affiliate, which did not sign on to the cease fire, has a strong presence in the area.

  A car bomb killed at least 20 people at a gathering of Taliban and Afghan armed forces in the eastern city of Nangarhar on Saturday, an official said, as soldiers and militants elsewhere in the country celebrated an unprecedented ceasefire. Dozens of unarmed Taliban militants had earlier entered the Afghan capital and other cities to celebrate, coinciding with the end of the Ramadan fasting season, as soldiers and militants exchanged hugs and took selfies on their smartphones. But in some provinces the insurgents were carrying rocket launchers, grenades and other ammunition.

Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar, confirmed a car bomb was responsible for the attack in the town of Ghazi Aminullah Khan, on the main Torkham-Jalalabad road. He had earlier said a rocket-propelled grenade was to blame. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
  ENTERTAINMENT


  LATEST UPDATES











  Advertisements


© All rights Reserved. The south Asian, Published Weekly from New york.